Hebrew is incorporated into our program at all levels. In the younger grades, Hebrew is taught in an informal manner through songs, games, and prayer. Beginning in second grade, students are taught in a more formal manner concentrating on identifying the letters and knowing their sounds.
In third grade, students add a second day of instruction on Tuesdays. Each class builds on the material learned the year before. Upon completion of the Hebrew series we are using, students will be able to:
- Read fluently from the Siddur (prayer book)
- Translate key prayer vocabulary
- Identify important roots, prefixes and suffixes
- Explain the themes of prayers
- Connect the prayers with important Jewish values
- Understand the sequence of the service and participate comfortably in the service
- Understand the basics about the Trope system for chanting from the Torah
Grades 3, 4 and 5 will have the bulk of their Hebrew language instruction on Tuesday afternoons. Grades 6 and 7 will have their Hebrew language instruction on Sundays and split their religious school curriculum between Sundays and Tuesdays.