Hebrew is incorporated into our Sunday morning program at all levels. In the younger grades, Hebrew is taught in an informal manner through songs, games, and prayer. Beginning in second grade, students are taught in a more formal manner concentrating on identifying the letters and knowing their sounds.
In third grade, students add a second day of instruction on Tuesdays. Each class builds on the material learned the year before. Upon completion of the Hebrew series we are using, students will be able to:
- Read fluently from the Siddur
- Translate key prayer vocabulary
- Identify important roots, prefixes and suffixes
- Explain the theme of each of the prayers
- Connect the prayers with Jewish values
- Understand the sequence of the service and participate comfortably in the service
- Chant from the Torah using trope
Grades 3 and 4 will have the bulk of their Hebrew language instruction on Tuesday afternoons. This year, grades 5, 6 and 7 will have their Hebrew language instruction on Sundays, and split their religious school curriculum between Sundays and Tuesdays.